Garbage Day
Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Printable Version

+- Garbage Day (http://losteventidestudios.com/garbageday)
+-- Forum: World of Warcraft: Redux (http://losteventidestudios.com/garbageday/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Text-Based Interactions (http://losteventidestudios.com/garbageday/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: III The Scales Tip (http://losteventidestudios.com/garbageday/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+----- Forum: Warcraft: Chapter Three [Timeskip] (http://losteventidestudios.com/garbageday/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+----- Thread: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) (/showthread.php?tid=791)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Arthak Saurfang - 07-26-2020

(A few weeks into the timeskip)

Arthak stood in the center of the doorway to the training yards of what had once been the headquarters of the Guardian's of the Eternal Spring. Cigarette clenched in his teeth, his gaze wandered over the Shadowsword soldiers. Most of them were organized into pairs, straightforward sparring, colliding with both sword and spell against one another.

Ignoring the magic use, it reminded him of the training of the Blackrock. Most of the clans went in for little formal training. You learned how to swing an axe, maybe raise a shield, and then you went to battle. If you survived, that was your training. To be fair to his people, that was often all that was really necessary. But all you had to do was watch what the Blackrock legions were capable of doing in regards to fortifications and phalanx fighting to see the value that actual, serious training had.

The elves didn't have the natural strength, endurance or durability of an orc. Training was a necessity; the lack of it was a death sentence.

Thankfully, they had a talented commander ensuring the felblooded soldiers were prepared. Of their elven allies, Selin was the only one Arthak had found worthy of respect. The former spellbreaker was a traitor to his people, but one with principles rather than the naked ambition and greed that characterized his superiors.

He was also undeniably competent.

At the moment, Selin was doing largely the same thing Arthak was, minus the tobacco, from the other side of the yard. He observed, periodically gesturing to one of the training officers when something needed correcting or when it was time to rotate.

They'd discussed this already, something of an exchange of training. Arthak would come a few times to the Shadowsword and provide some orcish training, and Selin would reciprocate with the warriors of the Broken Blade. Arthak was first.

Finished his cigarette, and lighting another, Arthak took a step forward, into the edge of the yard, catching Selin's gaze as he did.

Might as well get started.

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Selin Fireheart - 07-27-2020

Selin's eye caught the orc as he approached. A bemused grin crossed his face as he stood and strode forward to meet the orc. 

There is much that his fighters could learn from the man who slew Thalorien Dawnseeker. The orcs were a proud and effective fighting force, and they had proven more than a match for his former kinsmen. Whatever they - and he - could learn from such a man would be invaluable - doubly so if the orcs proved transient allies. He knew all too well that cultures that pride themselves on their strength united best when it was to destroy a shared foe, but he saw firsthand for himself what had happened when they had been deprived that conquest. 

What he had observed, and what he would continue to learn, would ensure that the elvish people - the true elvish people - would not be swallowed up in their storm of this war, on one end or the other.

"Throm'ka, Chieftain," he said in his best, imperfect orcish. "Glad you have come," he said with a salute. The language had proven difficult to speak, and he was hardly fluent. But that was why his teacher was present to fill in the gaps. The pale gray elf stood like a corpse nearby, his sickly greenish eyes nearly unblinking as they observed Arthak on his approach. 
[Image: tumblr_onlrj5O1HK1s4qsmpo1_500.png]
(by Jessmightwork)

"Greeting, Arthak Saurfang," the elf said, his voice airy and devoid of excess of emotion in one direction or the other, "Stormbreaker, Herald of the Bloodmist. I have heard much about you. I am Tel'athion Vilewind," the felblood elf said with a deep bow. His orcish was almost too perfect, broaching the excessive formality of a non-native speaker, but his pronunciation was as straightforward and perfect as any orc.

"He... is teaching," Selin said, glancing at the man. Almost a foot taller than he was, Tel'athion was a scarecrow of a man. Long ago, Selin had personally sought the magister's head during the twilight of the old Silvermoon, when he still served the crown. Tel'athion was one of the first of the magistrate to aid Dar'khan Drathir in his coup against his beloved king's foolish regime, and the irony that he now stood side by side with the man as his student where once he sought to be his executioner was not lost upon him.

Selin turned to the group nearby, where some of his most elite Shadowsword were finishing their drills.  The woman, a lightly-armored skirmisher with a dozen small horns that barely pierced the veil of her inky hair, flipped backwards from her opponent, a bead of red cloaking her otherwise green eyes as she locked her eyes on her opponent. With a pearly white, fanged smirk, the woman flipped her shortblade into the air and sheathed it before extinguishing the fel-fire that had scorched a dark blemish on her otherwise lustrous, deep violet skin. 
[Image: 6ad41b726b1c91c319d55e656782db69.jpg]
(by Devon Cady-Lee)

Her opponent, armored only slightly more than she, was a nimble and cocky elf. His skin was a dark, dusky brown. He was handsome, no doubt, the only blemishes on his body the deep green, vein-like surgings of fel magic that warped his arms and legs. He spun a long polearm made seemingly of super-heated green steel alight with felfire as if it were water, easily maneuvering it around his limbs as nimbly as any performer or acrobat. He glared at his opponent with golden-green eyes and a grin that blurred the line between animosity and attraction, their duel as sensual as it was violent.
[Image: DoJhe0FWsAAQ7Or?format=jpg&name=medium]
(by Guttertongue)

"Fenissa, Matis," he said, gesturing for the two to join them. The two stood up from their battle stances simultaneously. The woman sheathed her remaining blade, the man tossing his flaming pike into the air, only for it to evaporate into a puff of fire.

Selin gestured to his lieutenants. "Fenissa Vhayluren," he began, gesturing first to the violet-skinned duelist, who nodded her head as the commander spoke. "Expert killer."

"She is an expert of assassination and subterfuge," Tel'athion continued, "her skills aided us in subverting the Crown, and the Resistance after,"

"Charmed," the woman said in Thalassian, knowing full well that the orc was not fluent.

Selin gestured to the man next. "Matis Tonguelash," he said.

"Matis joined us after we took Silvermoon, but has proven himself a talented, and ambitious, fighter. His mercilessness has wiped out nearly a half dozen Resistance cells during the months prior to the fall of the Gatekeeper," Tel'athion explained

"Whatever they're saying," Matis whispered to Fenissa in Thalassian, "I hope it makes me look good."

"As if your ego needs further inflating," she whispered.

Selin shot the slightest of glares at the two before turning back to Arthak. "They will help us teach," he explained, using orcish once more before turning to Tel'athion to translate the rest of what he wished to say.

"Commander Fireheart's forces are ready whenever you are, Chieftain. Do you have any questions?"

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Arthak Saurfang - 07-27-2020

Arthak listened to the introductions, noting the names and credentials of Selin's inner circle. A faint smirk crossed his face as Tel'athion finished his translation.

So Selin has a Halno, as well as a Nyxxa and an Azgadaan. Interesting.

Observing the four elves, Arthak gave a simple nod, pushing his amusement back to focus on the task at hand.

"You have my gratitude for this opportunity to share knowledge," he said, offering a quick bow. "Politeness aside, I believe I have seen and know what I need to. Let us begin."

Walking past the elves, he strode into the center of the training yard. Glancing towards Selin and Tel'athion, who he would have to rely on for translation, Arthak pulled out a roll of tobacco, lit it, and took a deep inhalation.

This should prove enlightening. The Shadowsword are valuable allies, as well as a potential threat. Better understanding their capabilities and methods will prove useful, as will improving those same capabilities, at least for so long as they remain allies.

And on a less practical level, I respect and appreciate Selin. Should we find ourselves to be enemies one day, it would be pleasant for that antagonism to be built on respect. There is something in him that could almost be seen as honor.

At the very least, I can count on him to see things done, and done efficiently.

"Shadowsword! Your attention!" Arthak bellowed, smoke billowing from between his tusks, almost like a dragon.

Now, to see what you have taught these soldiers of war, Selin.

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Selin Fireheart - 07-30-2020

The rest of the gathered felblood elves paused their training regiments as the orc bellowed his address. Those gathered were some of the most elite among Selin's forces - including many prospective Spellbreakers. He was alone in joining the Legion from among his order, and the process of reforging the esoteric art into a new sword to be wielded was a process that took many years to perfect, but he saw this as a perfect opportunity to test their mettle.  

The felblood commander stepped up next to Arthak and spoke as well.  "At attention," he shouted. "Chieftain Saurfang is present today to aid us in some joint training exercises. Lord Vilewind and myself will be translating his directions, which you will follow as if coming from me," he explained.

His sharp eyes scanned the crowd for dissent and found only order and discipline as the men and women, their bright eyes alight with attentive flames as they sized up the renouned orc. No doubt their eyes, too, fell upon the legendary blade at his side.

He glanced to Arthak as Tel'athion stepped behind him, a gaunt, pale shadow. His two lieutenants moved back into formation and rejoined the others.

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Arthak Saurfang - 07-30-2020

Arthak waited for Selin to address his troops, offering the commander another bow before continuing.

"War is the art of advantage," Arthak said, scanning over the ranks of felblood warriors. "Victory is achieved through the discovery and application of the advantages you have at your disposal. This is the way whether the conflict is a battle between armies, between individuals, or between worlds. It is all advantage."

He took a step forward closer to the lines, drawing Quel'delar and flipping it into his hand.

"One of the marks of a blademaster is the ability to assess advantage, especially those that are less obvious. Advantages that exist in the mind; fear, respect, overconfidence or confidence's absence. There are also advantages that exist between peoples, playing out in words and in expectations. A reputation is an advantage that can kill as efficiently as a sword."

He smiled, swiping off the edge of his cigarette with the prismatic blade.

"Advantages: My weapon. My reputation. My physical strength. My experience. Obvious."

He muttered the command word, and pointed towards the ranks as imbued flame wreathed Quel'delar's length.

"Other advantages: I am willing to kill anyone, sacrifice anyone, do anything for the victories I desire. I am willing to redefine victory however I must to ensure my ends are met. I have mastered techniques and cultivated knowledge of war that precious few still live to speak of. I have allies in strange places, and where I don't have allies I have angles of attack. All less obvious."

"The first lesson for today. War is advantage. The second lesson. Victory comes in the advantages your enemies do not see."

Arthak dropped and stamped out his cigarette, and dismissed the fire in Quel'delar.

"For example. While all of you were watching me fool with this sword and listening to your Commander and the Magister translate my words, I could have had a compliment of archers, such as the Ethereal mercenaries in my employ open fire on you from behind. Likely using the balcony areas surrounding this space, which I have taken the time to study, and taking advantage of the fact that this group consists of the most experienced and diligent of the Shadowsword's forces, leaving the less seasoned and more easily dealt with seeing to security."

Another thin smile, staring down the troops, 

"I haven't of course. And if I had it would not be as easy as I made it sound. But advantages are present that I could use, if I so choose. You have given me them. There is a third lesson there. Be ruthless with yourself, and with the advantages you grant those around you."

Arthak sheathed the sword, and directed his gaze to catch Selin's lieutenants.

"Now. Enough theater. Pair off, look for those you see as your equals. Tonguelash, Vhayluren, please ensure that the troops' assessments are accurate, correct them if they are not. To begin our time together today, we will begin with an exercise for the mind."

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Selin Fireheart - 08-01-2020

Selin listened closely to Arthak's words through translation. He certainly did not expect a threat as a part of his lesson, but it worked all the same. He was pleasantly surprised that his warriors took the words in stride, rather than in offense, though he did spy more than a few glances behind them, double-checking the orc's assurance that he was not, in fact, plotting an ambush upon them.

"You heard the chieftain," he said, gesturing to the crowd.  "Pair off.  Now!"

---

Matis bared his fangs in a half-smile, half threat as he obeyed the commands. This orc talks a big fuckin' game, he thought, his eyes hungrily upon Quel'delar. I look forward to testing if his bite is as fierce as his bark. See if he truly earned that little toy of his.

Nevertheless, he obeyed, ensuring the soldiers paired off quickly and efficiently. He was impatient, after all. He needed to hear what this big shot had to say next, and he wouldn't abide chaff to delay the satiation of his piqued curiosity.

---

Fenissa's eyes did not leave Arthak as his words flowed from his mouth. Though their meaning did not reach her until the translation did, she understood. His was an interesting point - referencing, whether intentionally or not, the ambush unleashed by the Resistance against his own coalition not but a few months earlier. Surely, he must realize that the elves rely on ambush tactics for victory.

No... there was more to what he wished to convey. He wished to speak of advantages... and she would not let this advantage pass her by.

She paced through the lines as the groups got together, vetoing some of the weaker pairs as she progressed.

---

Once the warriors had done as Arthak had asked, Tel'athion turned to the orc once more.

"The Shadowsword await your orders, Chieftain."

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Arthak Saurfang - 08-01-2020

Arthak regarded Tel'athion with a nod before addressing the assembled warriors again.

"This is the beginning to learning advantage. One of you goes first. Whoever you are, you have one minute to make two motions. One with the lower part of your body, one with the upper. You do not make this motion until the minute has been called. Utilize this time, as what you are seeking is the perfect culmination of advantage. A killing blow. Stance and strike in perfect unity against an opponent unable to fight back."

His eyes danced over the assembled warriors, noting those who met his gaze, those who did not, all with the same cold attention with which he'd tallied those who'd held their poise and those who'd glanced behind them at his lesson.

"After that minute, your opponent will have their minute to respond. You will hold the position your choices have left you with for that minute, while your opponent observes and looks for the optimal path to your death. Then, it will be your turn again. Look for the hole in their offense, while finding your own path to a fatal strike. A perfect cut. We will start at a minute for each partner. Then we will shave away 10 seconds. We will continue this way until you have ten seconds to observe, and commit. After that, it will be second by second. I call you, you move. Whoever finds themselves unable to avoid their opponents blow, while finding a reprisal is dead. Clear?"

Arthak raised a hand in preparation to begin the exercise. Turning his attention inwards to the sound of his own heartbeat to mark the time.

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Selin Fireheart - 08-02-2020

Selin watched with fascination as the orc began the exercise. It took a the first two minutes for all gathered to truly grasp what the blademaster's regimen, but the seniormost elite, including Tonguelash and Vhaeyluren, danced to his tune almost immediately. It was like watching a fight in slow motion - a sudden burst of movement, followed by an almost painfully long period of contemplation and observation. In that moment of silence, naught could be heard but the breathing of the gathered Shadowsword warriors, the movements of those who prepared for their own next movement, and his own heartbeat.

This was already a wise move. If his reputation alone was not enough to solidify that, the elegant simplicity of this exercise proved as much.

By the fourty-second mark, already did his most promising students begin to weave spellcraft into the mix. As the orc called out at each interval, another burst of motion would consume the hall, now with fel fire adding to the delight and the distraction. It alone would be a suitable, added distraction to contend with, for those with lesser experience among them.

---

It was only natural that Fenissa would be Matis's sparring partner. The beautiful, deadly asp would have rendered any other duelist impotent well before she could he. As she curled around him, her foot closed behind his own to slip his stance out from under him, it was all he could do to contain the fire that had built up within his chest. His blood boiled as he peered down at the bare flesh from beneath the subtle wound he had given her during their warm-up - a blemish of love, and a token of their dance. Oh, how he yearned to give her more in that singular moment - to ravage her body unchecked by this entrancing restraint. To test the limits of his power upon her deathly grace; to extinguish or be extinguished by hands clasped in exuberant, unbridled passion.

But he held himself in order, his eyes alight with gluttonous fire. This was foreplay of the most intoxicating variety, and it was all he could do to halt him flaying her unblemished skin... or drowning in it.

This Arthak fellow truly understands the language of love... That much is for sure.

---

There was a reason her sparring partner had earned himself the moniker, 'the Cruel.' Even now, with her blade inches from his carotid artery, his eyes flickered down upon her like a hungry wolf eyeing a sleeping doe. She could feel his body temperature rising, hear his heart beating faster and faster as her body brushed against his.

What pig.

For a moment, she debating plunging her blade into his thigh and ending it all. He wouldn't understand what had happened to him until after enough lifeblood had flown from his body to prevent him from even considering an effective counterattack. He would be out of her hair. It would be so simple...

Not now. He had his uses, unfortunately. And, if he needed to be transformed into an example, she had no doubt he could be talked into a... vulnerable position without too much issue, judging from the wild, carnal look in his eyes.

He had best hope he stayed more useful alive than dead.

---

Selin watched with anticipation as the time grew shorter and shorter. He found himself eager to watch what techniques would unfold within the orchestra of steel that Arthak was conducting.

But even more eager was he to experience this orc's training, his mastery, for himself.

"Magister Vilewind," he asked quietly. "Do you believe you could handle the pacing of this exercise?"

The pale felblood nodded. "Yes. 'Tis a basic timing exercise." He cocked his head to the side. "Why do you ask, Commander?"

Wordlessly, Selin held a hand out. A translucent green replica of his hand grasped his double-bladed sunglaive a few paces away, leaning against one of the nearby pillars of the building. The hand bolted back, weapon in its grasp, as it met his own. Effortlessly, he twirled the blade from one hand to the next as if it were a baton a quarter of its size. As the weapon halted, one blade clanking firmly against the back of his armor as he held the hilt between the blades tightly behind one elbow, he looked to Arthak, an eager, yet inquisitive smirk coming to his face.

"Ah," Tel'athion said, stepping back and bringing his hands together, should he need to step in for Arthak's portion of the exercise.

"Shall we?" Selin asked in Orcish, a slight chuckle punctuating his words.

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Arthak Saurfang - 08-02-2020

Impressive.

The Shadowsword took to the exercise well, and quickly. The addition of magic was an interesting twist, but not an unexpected one. He'd fought their betrayed kin enough to know that the arcane was as integral to their methods of war as archery was.

It was admirable execution.

There is a lot of potential here. And soon Selin will be providing counsel to my own warriors.

The flare of magic from beside him as the Shadowsword commander retrieved his weapon attracted Arthak's attention away from the troops.

And even more interesting.

He raised an eyebrow at Selin's invitation, glancing back over to the warriors. They were engrossed in their own little worlds of conflict and advantage; they had little need for his direct attention.

He returned the smile with a nod, and wordlessly tapped Quel'delar and then Champion's Forge, allowing Selin the option. Traitor's Gift patiently waited in its sheath, overlooked amidst his other weapons.

It's not your time yet. Yours, or Selin's.

For now we are allies, and there is no call for you.

There was no response from the Gift, and Arthak returned his focus to Selin, awaiting his choice.

RE: Cross-Class Discipline (Arthak and Selin) - Selin Fireheart - 08-03-2020

As Selin's eyes flit between the two blades, he considered his options swiftly. Though he would love to see an elvish blade wielded by a titan of a man like Arthak, it made more sense immediately to challenge him with his greatest strength - that of the beastly weapon. It was more a pillar than sword, but he had no doubt in his mind that it was Arthak's preferred weapon, judging from what he had seen of the warrior. 

His gesture indicated as such - he would see Arthak at his best for this exercise. He would, after all, not be holding back, and it was Arthak himself who indicated that they should face opponents of near-equivalent strength.

Tel'athion's clapping hands and calling voice took over for the exercise's maneuvers as Arthak readied himself and entered the realm within which their own duel would take place. The felblood commander's muscles tensed as he prepared himself for the chieftain's motion.